Saturday, August 13, 2011

Thank you Pinterest- Part 1

So as I mentioned before, this month I am only trying new recipes that I find on Pinterest. It so far has been wonderful! Everything I've made has been delicious. For our first batch of meals we did theme nights. Started out with Mexican night and ended in Asian night. Some of the meals were very time consuming (especially for this swollen little pregnant person) but all very worth it. We just went grocery shopping and all the meals I have planned for from Pinterest are a bit easier and not as time consuming as the ones I just made. Being on my feet for two hours can take it out of me! Especially with my huge belly. But this huge belly certainly appreciated everything I put in it so I can't really complain!

Meal #1: Jalepano Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
So I know this really doesn't go with our theme idea, but I was tired this day and wanted something easy. Plus I mean...we love jalapeno poppers and grilled cheese sandwiches...so there was no way we could go wrong with this recipe! It was amazing!

Photobucket

I omitted the chips and next time I will leave some of the seeds in the jalapeno because it was not spicy enough for me (and this pregnancy is making me crave spicy!

Meal #2: Chicken Enchiladas and Homemade Salsa
So our first night was Mexican themed and it was amazing. The enchiladas were one of those things that were very time consuming to make so Roman missed out on them since they weren't ready till after he went to bed. But Malachi and I had a little impromptu date night. We found some Mariachi band music and had a wonderful Mexican meal. Plus may I mention that I made homemade salsa! I was pretty proud of myself! I will never buy store bought salsa again!

Photobucket
Photobucket

I forgot to add the cumin in the salsa but it delicious just the same. And be prepared...this recipe makes a lot of salsa!

Meal #3: Gyros and Greek Pasta Salad
Malachi was super excited about this meal. He loves Greek food. Loves it. We have both been wanted gyros for a while now but didn't know of any good Greek restaurants around here so why not make them. I was pretty nervous about trying to make them myself since I figured it was one of those things you only eat out but I went for it and I'm glad I did. They were very good. My husband looked like he died and went to heaven while he was eating it! Which makes every moment spent in the kitchen worth it! This was also a time consuming meal to make and I will not lie...making the meat for the gyros was nasty. You have to made a meat paste...so yes...gross. But worth it in the end. I don't think I will attempt this one again for a very loooong time, but I'm glad I did it.

Photobucket
Photobucket

Meal #4: Basil Fondue and Chicken and Bow Ties
I love Italian food so I knew nothing could go wrong with this meal! I changed the fondue from pesto to basil. I followed the recipe except for adding the nuts. I left those out so it was more of a basil fondue than a pesto fondue but it was amazing! I could only have a tiny serving of the pasta because I ate so much fondue! One thing I will do differently next time is cut up the sun dried tomatoes into smaller pieces instead of leaving them in strips. They were too overpowering for me as strips. But other than that is was delicious!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Meal #5: Buffalo wings and Fried Pickles
I was going to make these Buffalo Chicken Bites but I was having a rough pregnancy day and I was tired so my husband decided to make dinner for us. So instead of the complicated 'bites' he made some homemade buffalo wings. They hit the spot! They were super spicy and delicious! I am not ashamed to say that all three of us were covered in buffalo sauce by the end of the meal. Malachi also made fried pickles. And really...can you go wrong with fried pickles? No...I didn't think so!

Photobucket
Photobucket

Meal #6: Mongolian Beef
Alright...so without knowing it I saved the best for last. This recipe was SO good that I not only had it for dinner, I had it for dessert and for lunch the next day. And sadly it is all gone! I will be making this again sometime soon!

Photobucket

I did use pre-cut stir fry meat for the store but that is all I changed in the recipe.

After every meal Malachi tells me he is so happy that I have found Pinterest and he thinks I should keep using it! So I think I shall! Roman has been inspired by Pinterest too!
Photobucket


Keep a look out for part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment